Thursday, February 5, 2015

Black and white ink drawings

My biggest influences in terms of this meduim are Robert Crumb, Maurice Sendak and Edward Gorey.  -  All artwork on this page by Wayne R. Flower - Prints for sale: Email waynerayflower@gmail.com for Pay Pal information. Please specify which drawing(s) you want prints of and quantity. Please support artists!



Boy on Light Post


From a 1998 sketch book. It has been by far my best selling and most popular ink drawing at art shows I have done.

Pen and ink (fine ballpoint) - Original = 3" x 5" - Limited prints available 






 Seattle Street Scene


From a sketch book. The title is pretty self-explanitory. This is based on a 'mental snapshot' of a street corner I saw one day the Pioneer Square area of Old Town in Seattle in the late '90s (probably '98).

Pen and ink (fine ballpoint) - Original = 3" x 5" - Limited prints available 








 Salem


I had just been to Salem, Massachusetts for the first time, around 2005 (I lived in Boston then) near Halloween, when the town was ramping up for its biggest holiday. There are tourist traps everywhere, all based upon the famous witch trials. 

This drawing went through various alterations. Originally it included little girls selling flowers door to door, as that is what the girls who began accusing people of being witches used to do. That part of the drawing didn't turn out very well, but the other part with the buildings and the 'village idiot' looking guy turned out pretty good, so I cut the girls out of it.

I spent hours drawing in the individual cobblestones. Then, I had drawn some ravens into it, in the area above the man's head, the birds were on the ground, standing on the stones of the street. But the birds were terribly drawn. I was dismayed, until I came up with the solution of cloaking the area between the buildings in shadow. Then, it was done.

Pen and ink (fine ballpoint) - Original = 11" x 18" - Limited prints available 










 Milton and the Leaves



Milton Fish is a character of mine based somewhat on myself, he appears mostly in my writing (for instance, as the main character in a novel I wrote called 'Voice of the Bone-fed Moon' and one I am currently working on). The whole idea of Milton came from this drawing, in which I randomly named him Milton, and then I came to realize the drawing was based on me as a child. As character in my writing, Milton is much more calm and cool than I am.

Here is an excerpt from the novel which was inspired by this drawing:
"...He has spent a good deal of time alone, being an only child. He remembers days playing in the park in leaves on the grass, remembers covering himself in the wet, gold and red masses of sticky wet goo, making a hole to the sky in the pile so he can breathe, and laying perfectly still until he hears people in the park walk by, conversing amongst themselves, not knowing he is near; a devilish secret that only he is privy to, and this makes his stomach tingle..."


Pen and ink (fine ballpoint) - Original = 3" x 5" - Limited prints available 





No comments:

Post a Comment