Thursday, February 5, 2015

Digital Etchings


Digital Etchings - This medium title is one I came up with to describe drawings that I compose in Microsoft Paint, which I chose specifically because it is a raw, old-school, single bit, bitmap program, and as a result, a 'hand-drawn' look is achieved (ironic, I know). The etching part of the title refers to the process of starting with a black background, mapping out white shapes, then drawing on to the shapes from there. I tend to spend many, many hours on them  -  All artwork on this page by Wayne R. Flower - Prints for sale: Email waynerayflower@gmail.com for Pay Pal information. Please specify which drawing(s) you want prints of and quantity. Please support artists!


  Garden of Remembrance



This drawing is based on a woman I saw at the Garden of Rememberance in Dublin, Ireland in 2003. She was facing the setting sun and it seemed she was remembering a relative who had passed in the Easter Uprising.












Detroit



I worked for an advertising distribution agency for a decade. I had a large client that did all the advertising creative and production for Chrysler and moved to the Detroit area for a few months to implement the client. I spent hours in their office awaiting uploads of commercials and in the meantime I worked on digital etchings. This one was based on an actual area I witnessed near the 8 Mile bridge; an abandoned church and burned down houses, which I later learned had been there for many, many years. Detroit is currently (it is now 2015) making a slow come back, but this was in 2003, a year after the Eminem film '8 Mile' came out. I saw this scene while flying down the highway in a car driven by a saleswoman. We were approaching 8 Mile, and as I had just seen the film, I was looking around. A cop car screamed past us on the shoulder of the freeway, and then we approached a scene which the cop had been rushing to; a car had driven off of the 8 Mile bridge and was on its roof. 3 white kids were being questioned by the officer of the car which had streamed past us.











Man


This is one of the early digital etchings where really I figured out how to layer textures and effectively utilize the limited tools of the MS Paint program to create a a hand-drawn feel.









No comments:

Post a Comment